Pensive Potpourri

Author: Sarah Jo /

First, politics. I find it slightly disturbing that the elections are still a year away and I am already completely sick of hearing about anything related to them. The candidate I support (Ron Paul) has no chance of winning because this country will not get out of the rut that is the two-party system. It is becoming more and more evident that candidates for both parties are not meeting the standards of Americans. Just look at the last election. Most people were forced to choose the lesser of two evils, and it looks as if this election is going to be a similar scenario. Perhaps if we had a moderate party represented more people would be able to find a candidate they can truly rally behind.

Second, the Grammy Awards. I had a little get together with some friends and watched the whole thing...all four hours. It was a really good show, in my opinion. I loved every performance (although the Jerry Lee Lewis/Little Richard combo was pretty scary) and I thought it was great how several genres were incorporated into the show's performances. I think my favorite performance was the tribute to the Beatles done by Cirque de Soleil and some of the cast from Across the Universe. Feist's stripped down version of 1234 was really good, too. There were some awesome duets....Tina Turner and Beyonce, Fergie (I didn't know she could actually sing) and John Legend, Alicia Keys and John Mayer, Josh Groban and Andrea Bocelli.....yeah, could have done without that duet with Kid Rock and the old lady and Brad Paisley's song. But oh well. I love love love how the Album of the Year award went to Herbie Hancock. Kanye can pout all he wants, but it's amazing that the Academy acknowledged and rewarded a different genre of music than normal. One more thing.....I like Amy Winehouse's sound and everything. I think it's unique and catchy and whatever. I don't think she deserved 4 Grammys, though. That's just my opinion. I think there were different artists in each category who deserved an award more than she. Just my opinion.

Third, Valentine's Day. I've never really cared for it, even when I'm in a relationship. Basically the only good thing about V Day in my opinion is conversation hearts. I can destroy a bag of those...it's not even funny. I don't see why people celebrate Valentine's day. It's completely commercial. It might as well be called Hallmark day. Although it stems from Saint Valentine, a martyr, it has evolved to become a day to express romantic feelings. I guess that's all well and good, but I think it's so stupid when girls get angry when their boyfriends don't pull out every stop available on Valentine's day. I feel sorry for you gentlemen this Thursday...

That is all.

0 comments: