It Overtakes Me

Author: Sarah Jo /

Spiritual moments can happen anywhere, anytime, in the midst of anything. I remembered that a lunar eclipse was supposed to happen tonight, so I peeked out of my window to discover that I had a perfect view if I sat on the floor. I sat and watched the clouds dance over the crescent of the moon that wasn’t yet obscured. I had the Flaming Lips playing, and the song It overtakes me/The stars are so big…I am so small…Do I stand a chance? (yes, that is the song’s real title) was playing. I haven’t listened to this album very much at all, but the melodies of this song were the perfect soundtrack to the eclipse. Then I started listening to the lyrics…and magic happened.

And I'm there, looking up at the sky
And I'm scared, thinkin' 'bout the way that I
Don't understand anything at all...
And how it overtakes me... and I am just so small...
Do I stand a chance?


It was perfect, and I couldn’t stop smiling for a few minutes. Beautiful simplicity like this makes my day turn around. I should open my eyes and be more aware. I should be thankful that the composer of such simplicity brazenly loves me.

0 comments: