Hooray for Hollywood?

Author: Sarah Jo /

The phenomenon known as Hollywood has, once again, proven its power in American society and culture. By now we all know about Heath Ledger’s death. When I found out about it I was shocked and actually a bit saddened by the news. Then I started thinking about it, and I don’t even know this guy at all, yet I still feel a good bit of emotion about his death. If I had seen on the news that a random guy had died from alleged drug overdose, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought (which is probably sad in and of itself because that sort of news is so common, but that’s another blog entry altogether). Hollywood stars are such idols to American people, and really people all over the world. It absolutely fascinates me how people can achieve this status. I guess the reason why I felt such emotion toward Heath Ledger’s passing is because I have connected with him through the roles he has played in his films. That’s enough to establish a connection with an artist. Let me use another actor as an example that might make more sense. If I was to meet Zach Braff, I would probably start talking to him as if he’s a long lost classmate from high school or something because I connected so much to his character in Garden State. I actually read an interview with him somewhere and he mentioned that this actually goes on because of his portrayal of Andrew Largeman. I can think of several other stars that I feel like I “know” because of characters they have played. I suppose another reason we feel connected to celebrities is because they are all over the media in every way possible. Remember that one week when Britney’s custody case was the top story on every news channel? That’s absolutely ridiculous…the real issues Americans are facing take the back seat to some disturbed pop star’s custody battle.

My mom brought up a good point when we were talking in the car about Heath Ledger’s death. I mentioned how ironic it was that his last role is as the Joker in the new Batman movie, which is a super twisted and almost evil role. She said that roles like that can really affect the actor, and since most actors aren’t believers it’s no wonder that most of them seem way off their rocker. All the interviews I’ve watched have commented on the fact that Heath Ledger’s behavior had changed lately and that he looked like he was using drugs. When you think about it that way, how roles can really affect the actor, it’s scary that everyone in America is looking up to these people who are not solid. You all know that in no way am I a “super Christian,” so I’m not saying boycott Hollywood or pray for the salvation of Hollywood or whatever (I even wonder if that’s worth it in today’s society, because that kind of overt Christian behavior just seems to turn people off…so do we keep being forward in hopes that it will change, or do we adapt to fit the needs of today’s culture? Once again…that’s a whole separate blog entry). Anyway, I’ve never been one to have posters of actors or musicians or whatever in my room and I’ve never really idolized any celebrities, but Heath Ledger’s death just got my brain churning about this kind of stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When your mother met Clinton Kelly (What Not To Wear) at the Tampa airport, she just started chatting him up like they were buddies...then she realized "hey, he has NO idea who I am". Pretty funny.

Patrick said...

This is interesting.

I've been thinking about his death as well, and have experienced a sort of loss, but it's driven by self-interest.

I really liked him as an actor, and was really looking forward to another 10 years worth of excellent work from him. He was working on a Terry Gilliam movie (the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus) when he died, and I really was looking forward to it.

That's not to say that I don't feel for him personally, or that I'm selfishly petulant about his tragic demise, just that my emotional response to his loss has less to do with some Hollywood-hype-machine influenced (and false) sense of connection than with a very real value I placed on him as a person who improved the quality of my life through his work--the same way I place quality on the lives of my doctor, the local community theatre director, or the fine chefs at downtown grill.

Anonymous said...

Sarah Jo! I am so glad you have a blog, so I can read your wonderful thoughts!

I too was saddened by Heath Ledger's death. More shocked, actually. He was never glamorized by the media as some sort of "troubled" actor (although, now they are revealing much more suspicion). He was just a common actor playing great roles. And because of that, he will be missed by ordinary people...like ourselves.